In honor of Dr. Thomas Sowell’s retirement, here are some of his best quotes from his many years as a writer, columnist, and thinker.
1. People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything.
2. If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today.
3. Immigration laws are the only laws that are discussed in terms of how to help people who break them.
4. Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it.
5. The next time some academics tell you how important diversity is, ask how many Republicans there are in their sociology department.
6. The most basic question is not what is best, but who shall decide what is best.
7. The biggest and most deadly ‘tax’ rate on the poor comes from a loss of various welfare state benefits – food stamps, housing subsidies and the like – if their income goes up.
8. The real minimum wage is zero.
9. What ‘multiculturalism’ boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture – and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture.
10. In liberal logic, if life is unfair then the answer is to turn more tax money over to politicians, to spend in ways that will increase their chances of getting reelected.
11. People who have time on their hands will inevitably waste the time of people who have work to do.
12. Elections should be held on April 16th- the day after we pay our income taxes. That is one of the few things that might discourage politicians from being big spenders.